banner

banner

Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Husband

When my parents announced their divorce to my sister and I on New Years Day 2013, it was a complete and total shock. Seriously. They had never been the affectionate type to one another, but some people just aren't. That didn't mean they weren't in love, right? The thought of them divorcing had never crossed my mind... especially after 29 years of marriage.

But as the saying goes, things aren't always what they seem. My parents' marriage had been crumbling for many years, and I watched as the walls came tumbling down around them. The divorce process began semi-cordially, but just became more of a mess as time went on. There were some very intense moments of fellowship between our entire family. At 25 years old, I had never been directly affected by divorce but I quickly learned why God never intended for it to take place. It's messy. It's bitter. It tears families apart and sets them against one another. Sure, good can come after a divorce, but nothing is good about the actual process.

I've heard a lot of people question the sanctity of marriage when their parents get divorced. What's the point of sharing your life with someone when divorce is inevitable? Do wedding vows even mean anything these days? If my parents couldn't hold it together, then how am I expected to? All of which are valid  questions when it feels like the rug has been jerked out from under your feet.

However, I never felt any of that. Not for one second.

When Drew and I first started dating, I could tell we had something very special. It didn't take long for us to become best friends, wanting to spend every second together. It took me 5 months to tell him I loved him (I wanted to really mean it!), and after that we were inseparable. He was my world, and I would've married him right then and there.

Naturally, when my parents divorced, Drew was my rock, my support, my listening ear, my shoulder to cry on, my friend... he was everything a husband is meant to be. His loyalty and love for me runs deep and true, and that is a wonderful feeling... to have complete trust in someone. My favorite part of the day is when he walks through the door after a long day at work and gives me a hug and a kiss. I find comfort and security in those arms, and I can't say enough about how much he means to me.

When he looks at me I still get butterflies.

Just like I did 12 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment