banner

banner

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

No More Icees


This past weekend was the first time I realized how much more difficult it is having two kids rather than just one. We had our first "real" outing to Drew's softball tournament in Jacksonville. Sure, we've been to Wal-Mart, the dance studio, and out to eat once, but this was the first time we were gone all weekend.

I spent all day Saturday counting 1,2 - 1,2 - 1,2. #2 was a lot easier to keep up with since she was in my arms the whole time. #1 was a little harder to keep an eye on. I had told Livy that she could play with the other kids, but she had to stay where I could see her, and she actually did a good job but it didn't stop me from constantly worrying about where she was.


The day was going fine at the softball field. I had to go out to the truck whenever Charlotte needed a new diaper or she got hungry, but other than that we just hung out by the field. Abby had little Levi that morning, so I was dying to go get my hands on him! After Drew's 2:00 game, we had a little break, so we left to go see Brad, Abby, and Levi at the hospital in Little Rock.



We didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked to because we had to get back for more softball games. But we did get a picture of Charlotte and Levi together before we left!


We raced back to the field, dropped Drew off, and the girls and I went back into Little Rock to do a little shopping. I hardly ever go shopping for myself. Why would I when I can buy tiny little girl clothes?! But the time had come... I barely had anything to wear in my closet, and I also had a Target gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket! We got to Target around 4:30pm, and Livy and I were thirsty so I thought it would be fun to get an Icee. I bought a large red cherry Icee for us to share, and then we went looking for me some new clothes! It hadn't been 10 minutes when I heard Livy say,
"Uh-oh Mama, I didn't mean to!"

I looked down and she had turned the entire thing upside down in the buggy. Red cherry Icee was all over my phone, the diaper bag, the carpet, a little got on Charlotte's blanket, but thank goodness none actually got on Charlotte. I was furious! I just wanted to do a little shopping, but I can't even run in Target without having to clean up a mess! We made our way back up to the front of the store, leaving a red trail behind us, took the girls out of the buggy, got the whole mess cleaned up, and then went to go get a new buggy. As soon as I got both girls back in, Charlotte woke up and started crying. I knew there was no way I'd be able to calm her down because it was time for her to eat, so we paid for my one shirt I had picked out, and we left.

When I got out to the parking lot, Drew called and said the team was going to eat at Chili's. And since I was right beside the restaurant, he asked if I could go in and put our name down to get some tables. Sure, why not. So I drove across the parking lot, got the girls out of their car seats, and went in Chili's.

"Ma'am, you're gonna think I'm crazy since there's a ton of people already waiting outside, but there's a softball team of about 20 that's wanting to come eat. How long of a wait do you think that would be?"
"About 45 minutes to an hour..."
"Ok, let me see if that will work."

I went outside to call Drew, and he said that would be fine. So the girls and I went back inside.
"That will be fine. Just put it under Baker."

She gave me a buzzer and I was headed back to the truck to feed my crying hungry baby when Drew called again. He said the team was going to the Chili's in Jacksonville, not Little Rock, so I needed to take their names off the list. Seriously?! So we went back inside. Again.
"Ma'am, I'm sorry, I won't bother you anymore, but they decided not to come, so just take our names off."

I fed Charlotte quickly inside the truck, then we drove back to Jacksonville to eat with everyone else. We ordered our drinks, and after our waiter had brought them to us, I heard Livy say,
"Uh-oh Mama, I didn't mean to!"
"You didn't mean to what?"
"Drop my tea. I'm sorry!"

I just looked at Drew and said,
"You get it. I cannot handle it right now!"

Ha! I had reached my breaking point! I knew it would happen. Things had been going so smoothly since Charlotte was born, I knew we were overdue for some sort of meltdown. And this was it. Thankfully, it was nothing that a little skillet queso and online shopping couldn't fix. Online... I've concluded that's the only way to shop these days!

Amidst all the drama and drink spilling of the day, Livy did still manage to make me laugh. On the way to meet Drew for supper she said,
"It's hard being a big girl."
"I know it, baby. But I'm so proud of you when you act like one."
Then I started wondering where she was going with this, so I asked.
"Why is it hard being a big girl?"
"Mom, there's just so much macaroni."

Well, there ya have it.

Sometimes it's hard being an adult. And I wish it was because of the macaroni!


No comments:

Post a Comment