banner

banner

Monday, February 10, 2014

Breastfeeding 101 with Livy Lou

 

It's no secret that Olivia has been excited about having a baby in the house since the very first day we told her I was pregnant. She immediately started talking about all the things she would do with the baby... change the diapers, rock her, sing to her, feed her... and I've tried to be very open with her (on a 3 year old's level, of course) about everything that would happen, including breastfeeding. It has opened her eyes to a whole new world and the things she says about it are just down right hilarious!

Before Charlotte was born, I had gotten the breast pump out one day to make sure everything was washed, cleaned, and ready to go...
"What is that?"
"It's called a breast pump."
"What do you do with it?"
"Well... did you know that I'll feed the baby with the milk that's in my boobs? That's how I fed you when you were a baby. And this pump will help me get the milk out for when I need to use a bottle."
"Mom! You're gonna feed the baby with your BOOBS??? But I wanted to do it!!!"

Then after I had Charlotte, the whole family was still in the hospital room visiting and they were trying to decide where they were going to eat for lunch. When they left I was going to feed Charlotte and try to rest a little while. Livy came up to me and said,
"Mama, I wanna help you feed Charlotte."
"Well, do you remember how I'm gonna feed her?"
"Yea, with your boobs."
"That's right. You go eat with everybody and when you get back you can hold her, Ok?"
"Ok!"
Next thing I know, she runs up to Pappy and shouts,
"Hey Pappy! My mama's gonna feed Charlotte with her BOOBS!!"

We all had a good laugh over that one.

Once we were home, we still had family over, so I was going back to our bedroom to feed Charlotte, and I thought that would be the perfect time to let Livy see how I fed her. I figured once she saw me feed Charlotte, it wouldn't be a big deal anymore. So she gladly tagged along. Charlotte started making some funny faces and Livy said,
"Baby Charlotte says 'Boobs are gross!'"
"No they're not."
"Well, she's making a face. I don't wanna eat your boobs."
Trying to contain my laughter. "You wont, sweetie. Just babies do that."
"Oh. Well, it looks like she's gonna eat your whole boob!"
"No she won't."
"Oh yea... because she doesn't have teeth yet."

It has been one funny thing after another! She always knows how to make us laugh!



No comments:

Post a Comment