banner

banner

Saturday, March 30, 2013

His Only Son

John 3:16
It's probably the most recognized Bible verse. I'm sure I first memorized it in 1st grade as a Spark in AWANA. I've been able to rattle it off for a really long time now, just like most people. But do we actually listen to what the message is in that verse?

For me, John 3:16 took on a whole new meaning when I became a mother. I remember sitting in church one Sunday morning, not long after I had Livy, wiping tears from my eyes because I actually understood that verse for the first time in my life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God gave his ONLY son... that's the part that gets me. His only son. Gave his son to be mocked, whipped, beaten, spit upon, tortured, and crucified for us. Sinners. We sinners that take our salvation for granted. We sinners that forget to give thanks for our oh so many blessings. We sinners that sometimes fall asleep at night without having uttered one word to God that day. We sinners that try to justify our sins so we can do what we want. How does that make God feel?

Thinking about all of that makes His love so overwhelmingly real to me... that He loves us that much.

Would I give up my only child? My sweet precious Olivia? No way! I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. I'd like to think that I'd have the faith of Abraham when God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, but who am I kidding...

I'm so thankful
...that my God loves me and that His mercy endures forever!
...that He is willing to forgive my selfish heart!
...that Jesus did not stay in that grave!
...that He's coming again some day!
...and that I am a whosoever!

It's easy to reflect on this during the Easter season, but I pray that I'll never lose sight of His love for me.

What a day that will be,
When my Jesus I shall see,
And I look upon His face,
The one who saved me by His grace;
When He takes me by the hand,
And leads me through the Promised Land,
What a day, glorious day, that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment