banner

banner

Saturday, January 9, 2021

King of the Castle


I love my husband. 

Those four words basically sum up the entirety of this post, but what fun is that? Let's get into some details about the boy I fell in love with and about the man I married. Spoiler alert, it's the same guy. 


Lately I've found that I am a much better mom when he's around. On the occasional nights that he's gone for work, I'm not as much fun. I get annoyed by the kids quicker and my patience runs thin when the normal chaos ensues. When he's home though, he's like my sounding board, and he keeps me calmer. When the kids and the dogs should be driving me crazy, I'm able to look at him and we laugh it off together. I know plenty of wives who would like to kick their husbands to the curb when they are home too much, but that is just not me. I love being with Drew. It's my favorite place to be.


Last night, Olivia got to ride to the Panther basketball game with a few of her friends. She sat with them during the game and we made sure to wave real big at her from across the arena, just to keep her humble. She was having so much fun that she didn't want the night to end without them so during the 4th period, she came over and asked if one of her friends could spend the night.

I said no for a few reasons. #1, she knows better than to come ask me and put me on the spot. We've had plenty of conversations about that. #2, with Duke not sleeping well, I didn't want to add any extra noise to the house. And #3, I told her it would be impolite to the other 2 friends that she was sitting with to only invite one. I reassured her that we could plan it for another night so I could be prepared. She walked away and gave me the saddest look. She was so disappointed and it bothered me that I hadn't just caved in and said yes.

Some of my greatest memories of being a little girl are from when I got to have sleepovers with my friends. One of my friends' moms always said yes and it never seemed to matter how many girls showed up. I always thought I wanted to be like that when I became a mom. But here I had the chance and I said no.

A few minutes later she came back and asked if all of them could spend the night so no one's feelings would be hurt. My initial response was absolutely not! I just said no to one friend, what makes you think I would agree to three? But Drew, being the chilled out Dad that he is, asked me why not? Just think of all the memories they'd be making together and you'd get to be the cool mom... 

So I caved. I agreed. Yep, that's fine. They can all spend the night.

Her entire face lit up! She was so excited! She ran back to her friends and they started making plans. They stayed up late, entertained themselves with MarioKart and makeovers and then slept in the next morning. 

I had an 8 mile run to do so Drew told me to go enjoy my run and he would handle everything. He sent me a text during my run... he had made breakfast for all the girls. 


I don't think he knows how much little moments like that mean to me. And I know the girls don't realize how precious of a daddy they have, but they'll come to know it in time. He cranked up the hot tub for them after breakfast and they sat in the bubbles drinking their Cokes, living the 10 year old dream. Turns out letting them have the sleepover was the right decision. They did have a fabulous time together and made lots of memories, because Drew is a cool dad. 


During my run this morning, I was trying to keep my brain occupied and off the fact that I wanted to stop and walk. It hit me that since this year is 2021, that means that next year Drew and I will have been together for 20 years. WHAT. Am I even old enough for that? Yikes. One day you're 15 years old sneaking rides to Sonic with your secret boyfriend because you're afraid your parents think you're too young to date... then all of a sudden you're sneaking up on a 20 year relationship. 


Just when I think that I couldn't possibly love him more than I already do, God proves me wrong. Somehow He draws us closer together and our love grows deeper with each passing year. Our marriage is better than a silly old fairytale and we have so much fun together. He is my best friend and I want to be with him all the time. 

He leads our family with a strong confidence in the Lord. He's so patient and slow to anger. For someone who claims not to be very compassionate, he sure spends a lot of time putting others first. He always makes me laugh, whether it's with him or at him. He shows the kids affection and the girls especially soak it up. He's the king of our castle. He takes Charlotte hunting with him and she eats up the one on one attention. Olivia will confide in him about things that happened during her day at school. She'll even talk about boys with him. He messes with Sadie and makes her laugh. Duke loves him too. When he wakes up from his naps, he loves to go find Daddy.


The way he loves me is selfless and whole hearted, holding nothing back. He makes me feel special and cherished, like a treasure. Not that I think I deserve that title, but he makes me feel as though I do. I love date nights with him when we get dressed up and get out of the house. But between 4 kids and Covid, those don't happen as often as I'd sometimes like so we find other ways to have "dates." Whether we're watching a movie after the kids go to bed, playing scrabble in the kitchen, or just hanging out in the living room, he gives me his undivided attention and there's no place else in the world I'd rather be. 

Eighteen and a half years of loving this man and we're only getting started. I pray the Lord continues to bless our marriage, our friendship, and our family. I pray that we continually seek His guidance in all that we do, because without God, our marriage wouldn't be what it is today. To think that I found my forever love when I was still a young girl leaves me in awe of my Creator. Only He could've written such a beautiful love story for us. A story that, Lord willing, has many many more chapters.

I love you, Drew. Thanks for being everything to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment