banner

banner

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sadie Elise Baker

I've come to accept the fact that my days of consistent blogging are over. There's just no time for it, and that's ok because it means my time is filled up with something better. My kids. All three of them.

I wanted to share Sadie's story so I don't forget. Sometimes I like to go back and read their birth stories just to relive the excitement and newness of those days. There's nothing better than bringing a new life into this world. 

On Wednesday, September 23rd, I had my 38 week checkup with Dr. Watson. I had gotten sick that morning and mentioned it to her but she assured me it was normal (something I already knew.) She checked me but I hadn't dilated at all, no sign of thinning, and baby was still very high. I was actually relieved at all that because Drew had to be out of town that night and all the next day. 

That afternoon I picked Livy up from Annie's and we went to get pedicures. When we got home I wasn't feeling very good. I felt sick to my stomach and was having some contractions, but I knew they were only Braxton Hicks. I texted Drew all evening wishing he was home. I was just nervous about not feeling good with him being so far away. 

Thankfully we made it through the night just fine but I felt terrible on Thursday. My stomach was hard as a rock. There was hardly any relief like you get between contractions. It was rock hard all day long. I had a hard time feeling the baby move which was stressing me out. Not to mention having to take care of Livy and Charlotte (who still needs me for so much!) 

I was in tears by that afternoon. I was ready for Drew to get home from his meetings and to figure out why I felt so bad. By 4pm I had convinced myself to call Dr. Watson's nurse. I just wanted to hear her say all was normal. But by the time I called, their office was closed and they had gone home for the day. 

Livy had dance at 5:30, so I loaded the kids up and we headed to dance. We actually passed Drew on the way and he offered to turn around but I assured him I'd be fine. We were out of milk so I was just going to run in Walgreens while she was at ballet, pick her up, then we'd be home for the evening. 

I had a lot of contractions while we were out and I even texted Drew about it. I think my exact words were I've had about 48,000 contractions since we left home. Ha!

By the time we got home I could tell the contractions were becoming a little more intense. I started timing them out of curiosity... I wasn't sure if they were still Braxton Hicks or if they were the real thing. They were between 5-7 minutes apart. So I started thinking this might be real.

I decided to go take a bath to see if that would change anything. Nope. They were now 5 minutes apart. I got out and told Drew these might actually be real contractions. An hour or so went by and when I went to the bathroom I noticed there was some pink on the toilet paper. I decided to call Labor & Delivery in El Dorado to get their opinion on if/when I should come over. 

I explained everything and the nurse said it was completely up to me. I hated to drive over there just to be sent back home so I decided to wait it out a little longer. We decided it might be a good idea to get some bags packed so I tried to pack the baby's bag and just couldn't. I was having too many contractions. So I laid on the bed while I told Drew what to pack. 

He put the girls in bed and I was still having contractions. I told him I had half a mind to go on over there just so they could check me out and see if I was actually in labor. 

About 5 minutes later, I felt something pop and it hurt! Drew knew immediately something was different by my reaction. He asked if my water broke and I said "I don't think so. Nothing came out?" I got up to go to the bathroom and when I sat down it all came out. I said "Drew, that's not pee. We better go to the hospital." Then I looked in the toilet and realized it was filled with bright red blood. I knew something wasn't right. 

I got dressed while Drew called for his parents to come stay with the girls. I called the nurse back and she said we needed to come right then. 

We had just turned off our road when she called me back and said we better just go to Magnolia hospital just to be safe. I called Magnolia's hospital to fill them in and let them know we were on our way. By the time I got up to a room, the contractions were steadily becoming more intense and closer together. The nurse checked me once I got settled in bed, and I was 2-3cm. I told her how fast I tend to labor so she'd be prepared.

Before I went into labor, I had pretty much convinced myself that I did not want any pain medication. The recovery with Charlotte was so easy and I was determined to do it naturally again. But after a few more contractions, I looked at Drew and said, "I want that epidural." He said, "Are you sure? Think about that easy recovery..." I cut him off. I said, "You think about recovery. I'm getting an epidural!!!" The nurse said that they actually do spinals, where you go completely numb from the waist down. That sounded wonderful!

I was beginning to feel a lot of pressure during the contractions and I told the nurse she better check me again. Now I was 4-5cm, and thankfully the lady with the goods was on her way! When she walked in I asked, "Are you my angel?" Ha! The nurse checked me one more time and I was 7cm. As soon as I got the spinal, I laid down and my feet started to tingle. I had one more contraction that I could feel, but it didn't hurt. After that, I seriously could not feel a thing!

Maybe 10-15 minutes later, the nurse checked me one more time and said I was fully dilated and it was time to push! While they were scurrying around preparing for the baby, Drew was holding my hand and I asked, "Is this real? I mean, I'm not dreaming am I??" It was all happening so fast!

The doctor told me when it was time to push, and to be honest, I couldn't tell if I was pushing or not! I felt absolutely no pain! I pushed about 3 times, and she was out!

But as soon as she came out, there was blood everywhere. I could tell by the doctors' and nurses' reactions that something wasn't right. I looked down at Sadie who was covered in blood. She had a healthy cry, but I could tell she was gurgling in between cries. The nurses immediately took her and started syphoning blood out of her by a tube down her nose. I heard the doctor say that he thought it was a placental abruption.

They said Sadie had swallowed a lot of blood, but other than that she was completely healthy. It took a while for them to get all the blood out of her and to get me all fixed up. But after about 45 minutes or so, I finally got to hold my sweet Sadie. My third little girl. Drew had the biggest smile on his face, and I had tears in my eyes. I laid there and thanked God repeatedly for this healthy baby. I knew things could've gone so wrong with this delivery, but He protected us.

Sadie weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and was 20.5 inches long. She was stunningly beautiful!




Two days after we brought her home, she had a doctor visit to follow up on her jaundice. Long story short, she was extremely jaundiced so we had to spend 2 more nights in the hospital. That was tough. I just wanted to be at home and enjoy being a family of five but instead Sadie and I had to stay in the hospital while Drew and the girls were at home. I had to feed Sadie every 2 hours day and night to help the jaundice go down. It was very tiring, physically and emotionally! But after 3 days we finally got to come home! 






1 comment: