banner

banner

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Just a Phase

For some odd reason, Olivia has had her mind fixed on death lately and that's all she wants to talk about. It's exhausting, really. She asks question after question, she wants to know every detail, and a vague answer like "you don't have to worry about that, baby" just doesn't suffice. She wants to KNOW.

Normally the conversations begin with her in tears because she's worried about what will happen to Charlotte when we all die. Or she's worried that she will never see Ireland again. I always tell her that Jesus will take good care of us so she doesn't need to be upset about it... to which she replies...

"I'm trying not to worry about it but my eyes just can't hold the tears in!"

One night while we were laying in bed watching TV, she hugged and kissed me and said,
"I love you. When you die, will you die right beside me so I'll be OK?"

Doesn't that just rip you to pieces??? I can't handle it!

Then she'll ask...

"When you die, do you just stay dead?"
"No, baby. If you believe in Jesus you'll go to heaven when you die. And you'll live with Jesus forever."
"But didn't Jesus die on the cross?"
"Yes. But remember what happened on the third day? He rose again, so He's alive and He lives in heaven."
"Where will we die?"
"I don't know, baby. Only God knows that."
"Well, I believe in Jesus so I want to go to heaven so I can see Ireland again."

This is such a delicate subject. I know she's only 4 but she's also extremely smart. I try to make my answers age appropriate, but at the same time I don't want to withhold information that might confuse her later on down the road. It's never too early to plant the seed, after all it takes time to grow.

"Well, one day when you're a little older and you understand it a little better, you'll ask Jesus into your heart and you'll believe in Him as your Savior. Then you'll be baptized... do you remember seeing those people in front of the church when Bro. Micah dunked them under the water?"
"Oh yea!"
"That's called being baptized."
"Oh. I think I need to pray about that."
"That's a very good idea, sweetie. I pray about that for you too!"

I know this is just a phase and soon enough she'll move on to another subject to harp on, but this has been a daily reminder for me how important our role as Mama and Daddy are. We have two precious little lives in our care, and our job is to teach them about the glory of God. In comparison, nothing else really matters. Not what they wear, where they'll go to school, how many friends they have, nothing. I need to make sure I'm teaching them the important things.

Until they're old enough to study God's Word on their own, they're learning by example. And the example they spend the majority of their time with is me. Am I modeling who God wants me to be? Would it be OK if they grew up to be just like me? Is my light shining its brightest for Jesus?

I need to share Jesus. And that begins with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment